Monday, October 7, 2013

The Single Women's 30 Day Blogger Challenge

So on Twitter and Instagram, I follow Mandy Hale, author of The Single Woman. I have not read the book just yet but for over a year, I have followed her on Twitter and she has just had the right things to say. I can truly say, it has been a blessing to read her blog and tweets. 

Find more about her here

This month she issued a 30 day blogging challenge and today's post really just hit home and I decided to join in. Besides with the exception of Tumblr, I have not done too much blogging on this site.

I need to catch up on the first few days which I will do here. If you want to join in, see more details here:

Day 1:
1)      Your response to everyone’s favorite question: “And why are YOU still single?”

- I have been single for about 2 years now. And the easiest answer is that I was still holding on to my ex. We were together for 5 years. At this present time, he has moved on and I wish him the best of luck. That chapter is now closed and I need to learn to be ok with being by myself and developing my relationship with God. 
Note: This is probably the first time I have truly been able to admit that...progress folks. progress.

Day 2:
2)      Describe a moment or a day when being single really sucked.
- Oh wow.... I say in general I am an open book. I like to share so much of my life with others. I have come to terms that I am a communal person. But in terms of being single, there is just something about having a companion. Moments when being single really suck is when I want to call a guy late at night and talk for hours about my life. Or wanting to go out to the movies, listen to a new cd with a guy, read my poetry. 
The moments where I realize the absence of a companion in my life is when single life sucks.

Day 3:
3)      Describe a moment or a day when being single was really awesome.
- When I lived in Chicago and celebrated my 23rd birthday was probably the best day where single was awesome. I brought in my birthday at this bar where there was a James Brown cover band. I found myself dancing with all of these artists (some I knew but others I just met) and them passing the word around the bar that it was my birthday. The entire day I was on my own schedule and hung out with whoever I wanted. I walked from my job at Steppenwolf to the beach and sat along the water and wrote. It was the best feeling ever. I have had more days like that but I think that was one of the first days where I was glad that I was single. 

Day 4 (which is where the challenge is today)
4)      Your biggest fear as a single person.
-  I will miss out on someone great because I haven't truly healed from my past. I am sure that I am not the only one who may feel this way. It is a constant thought. Can I truly be with someone? I did have a great relationship at one point and it didn't work. Is there something wrong with me? Could I have another great relationship in the future? It all gets overwhelming. Sometimes it's better to block it all out. I try to stay busy and not think at all about my fears. 

I loved what Mandy had to say today about fears on her blog:
Lean into your fears. Don’t run from them. Feel them. Sit with them. Validate them. Then let them go and trust that God’s plan is best, however much it might line up with or deviate from your plans. How do I know this? Because as He says in one of my very favorite scriptures: “For I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

I have always ran from my fears and maybe it's time to stop. Accept them and give them to God.

This is a crazy month for me at work but I am committed to finishing this challenge. Hold me accountable readers and spread the word. God always reveals the right opportunities to me and I think this challenge will bring out some great things!

#THESW30


No comments:

Post a Comment