Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ruined at Almeida Theatre..AMAZING!!


So last night was an epic night!! I had the pleasure of seeing the play Ruined written by Lynn Nottage. Ruined tells the story of a woman's bar in the Congo during the civil war. Within the bar the owner Mama Nadi sells drinks and pleasure to the soldiers who come along the road. Once you step into the bar, all of the politics and violence from the outside remain there. The show was performed at the Almeida Theatre in London.

Seeing this production was beneficial to me in many ways. First the UGA Department of Theatre and Film Studies will be putting on Ruined in the Spring of 2011 so it was good to be able to see the show and get a feel for what is expected if I was interested in auditioning. Also UGA has certain shows that are unproduced which basically means that all of the props, costumes, and set are provided by the actors and directors. The show at Almeida was of course produced so it was a little intimidating to think of how UGA could pull this all of. But I am an optimistic individual so I feel as though it was be perfect and the woman who is directing the show is the one and only Dr. Freda Scott Giles and I am confident in the work that she is capable of as a director.

Jenny Jules played the lead role in Ruined as Mama Nadi and I truly loved her performance. She went above and beyond with the accent, her gait as her character, and the committment to emotion. For the UGA production I would want the role of Mama Nadi and attempt to be just as good as Jenny Jules. I don't want to talk too much about the plot because for those who are going to see the show, I want you all to be surprised and fully enjoy the script (which won a Pulitizer Prize by the way).

Sometimes after shows, it is customary to stand outside the stage door and get autographs of the actors in the show. Well of course after a giving the production a standing ovation, I definitely waited outside the door The cast was so humble and really great people to talk to. I got everyone's autograph except like 3 which kind of sucks but out of all the shows we have been to here in London, I got the most autographs from Ruined. YAAY!!

Adrienn Gecse from The London Insider did a review of the show that was at the Almeida so I would encourage everyone to read it. And of course I think I am a new fan of the Almeida in general because it was there that Ruined made its European premiere and Lynn Nottage herself worked with the cast during rehearsals. (so awesome) This is the last week of the show and she is supposed to come back during the week. I almost want to go back and see the show again just to have the chance to meet her.

So ladies and gentlemen, Spring 2011 be prepared to see greatness at UGA and read more up on Ruined if you get a chance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment