Friday, December 2, 2011

Thoughts of Opening Night...Morning of

The time is now 5:50 a.m.
I have a quick paper to do...buuuuut I had to write this instead.
So my original plan was to write a blog post everyday this week leading up to opening night. I had this grand  plan of pointing out different lessons I had learned throughout the week and relate them all to a big theme...and as you can see...no posts


So here I am ... morning of opening night


What do directors think of opening night?


Are they nervous? Is it just another day? Are they pissed? Did they get any sleep the night before? Do they try and think of last minute things to add?


After rehearsal last night, I had all intentions of hanging out with my sorority sisters and friends and just taking a moment to relax, but after picking up a friend for game night at my house, I collapsed on my bed as the laughter of my friends continued as background music for my sleep. 


So here I am... morning of opening night


What do actors think of opening night?


Are they going over lines? Are they just relieved that the night is here and soon to be over?


Thinking about all the shows I have done. I was usually nervous but excited. I do get a little sad because once he show run is over, that's it...the ensemble never comes back to rehearsal. The set is broken down. The costumes are returned to the closet. The props are put on the shelf. 


So here I am...morning of opening night


I am calm
I am grateful
I am excited


I am amazed at the spirit of peace that has come over my body this week. I am grateful to God for providing that peace. Things have NOT gone the way I planned and yet I smile. People have said some crazy things to me and trust I usually snap. (Yes I got a little snappy side) But I am content.


I am very thankful to the people who have been in my corner throughout this entire process, sending text messages (Casey), calling to see if I needed anything (Morgann, Tanya, Serena, Jeffrey), stepping into my cast and doing it big (Jeffrey), giving me rides home (my cast and classmates)....


It has been those things and more that I have been reflecting on.


I am in a career and life planning class and sometimes during class we have interview questions that we answer at the end of class. This week one of the questions asked was, " Who is more important, the leader or followers?" I remember a classmate mentioning how neither is more important but rather the collective resources of leaders and followers make a team most effective.


I agree wholeheartedly. At the beginning of this rehearsal process, I told the cast how I wanted us to create this story. Yes I had ideas but some things in my head are not the best when seen in real life. There had to be a balance. We as an ensemble had to create something amazing. It could not just be me and after rehearsal last night, I think our task is complete. 


So here I am... morning of opening night


Relaxed, a little sleepy but feeling great. If I could blog about the big lesson of this moment, I would say it would be.....


Recognize and embrace the support system.


I have been able to be calm because of the people around me who have been dedicated and determined to make this show a success. 
So here I am...morning of opening night
As I director, what do I do??


Say thanks 


Much love

1 comment:

  1. Giving God all the Glory!! He has blessed you to be a very talented young lady. I am so proud of you!! I know this weekend's production will be the best ever. My prayers are with you and the cast! I love you more, Mommie

    ReplyDelete