Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Do you think it's possible for a man and a woman to be friends?

Over the past two weeks this conversation has come up numerous times. On twitter .... at friends house..over texts and phone calls, I thought I could get away from the topic but yesterday I read a wonderful book by Pearl Cleage entitled, " I Wish I Had a Red Dress". My blog is all about artistic expression in all forms so I just thought I would share an excerpt in which the character Sister explains four possible ways friendships between men and women evolve. I think it is a interesting view and covers all of the discussions that have happened over the last few weeks. Please share your comments and tell me if you agree!

"When  you're speaking of heterosexuals, and I assume we are, there are only four." She held up her fingers to count them off. "One, there's acknowledged sexual attraction on both sides and it's only a matter of time before friends become lovers, unless there is an honorable reason why they shouldn't such as fragile health or a serious prior commitment. Two, there's sexual attraction on one side only, which, unless handled carefully, can result in complicated fantasies, unrequited longings, serious bouts of denial, and ultimately a busted friendship and a broken heart. Three, there is no sexual attraction present on either side, in which the case the friendship will quickly run its course since in most case the only reason people cross the great gender divide is if there are sexual possibilities present on the other side. Otherwise, you're probably going to have more fun going out with your girlfriends or hangin' with the homeboys."
I laughed. "You're dating yourself! What's number four?"
"That's when there's sexual attraction on both sides, but the parties have, for whatever reasons, been unwilling or unable to express it, so they sublimate all that energy into shared work experiences that keep them in close contact until they figure out how to get together."


Not bad huh?
If you like you what have read please check out "I Wish I Had a Red Dress" by Pearl Cleage.
I am now reading "Sounds Like Crazy" by Shana Mahaffey if I get anything from that..please be on the lookout for a new post!
Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment