Thursday, December 30, 2010

What if???

So I was riding in the car the other day and I started reflecting on society and how nowadays a lot of people want success and they want it quickly. I scan through Facebook and see a lot of my friends who are self-proclaimed models. (which is rather annoying because one photoshoot of yourself half-dressed with your cousin's  new camera from Christmas, hardly qualifies you to be a model..but I digress) I look at tv and you have people like Sheree from The Real Housewives of Atlanta who just decides one day to become and actress and all of a sudden getting headshots and performing on stage.

So as I was riding I began to panic a little, what if in a few years the degree I worked hard these past four years for doesn't mean anything?? What if getting a degree and having a degree in the arts becomes ancient and people laugh at it? What if all over it matters more about the money you have and how much money you can raise than true talent? What if places like Julliard and NYU become museums of how the performing arts used to be?

It is sad that people think that nurturing a craft such as dance, music, drama etc is something that can be launched in one day and that is it. I think this is one reason why there are folks who truly dislike the work that Tyler Perry does. You know it is one thing to begin as an amateur and create  decent work but then it is another to continue to parade around, disrespect the craft, and not receive training in the art that you create and expect to receive nods from everybody.

I am not saying that raw talent is a bad thing. There are probably plenty of stars out there who did not receive formal training and are doing well and are learning from those who have receive training.

The point I am trying to emphasize is that nurturing your craft should be the most important thing.

Your intentions for wanting to be on the screen, stage, etc should not be because "Well since I have this amount, I should be on tv" or "Since I know these people, I think I should be an actor/actress" or "Hey I am skinny and tall maybe I should be a model" or "I'm not really feeling this job maybe if I get an agent and become an actor in Hollywood I can get more money".

We are coming into a new year and I want to see talent from genuine and creative people. Those who truly want to share their gifts with others to entertain, to inspire, to uplift and then of course get a little money too. (Hey I have to be a little realistic)

I never want the what if's I mentioned earlier to become a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment